Degrees in English + Slavic Languages -- what to do next?

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

aricaric
Registered Member

Degrees in English + Slavic Languages -- what to do next?

Unread postby aricaric » 20 Jan 2011, 02:02

Hi,

I'm about to graduate with Bachelors degrees in English and Slavic Languages & Literatures from a large public school in America. I've studied in Russia in the past and spent some time (though not a lot) in Poland and Hungary.

I'm thinking of going to graduate school in either Russian or English, but I'd like to teach abroad for a while in Central or Eastern Europe (including the Southeast, with Bulgaria and former Yugoslavia). I can speak Russian, understand Ukrainian, and generally read the rest of the Slavic languages -- but not produce them. What should I do next in order to teach in one of these East/Central European countries?

I've read a few guidelines and getting some sort of TEFL cert. seems to be mandatory, but I'm not sure about the specific requirements for these places. I know that getting work in places like Prague and Budapest might be hard, but I wouldn't mind living in Bohemia or somewhere in Slovakia. Russia would be great, but I have experienced the troubles of visas there. What chances do I have in getting even a sorta-decent job teaching in these areas with degrees in English and Slavic Languages?

One last question -- I have worked at my university's writing center for two years, where we serve a ton of ESL students (almost half of the students we help). Can this count as teaching experience?

Thanks! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Teacher Training Discussion”