online course vs land course -advantages disadvantages

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

borgiss
Registered Member

online course vs land course -advantages disadvantages

Unread postby borgiss » 16 Jan 2011, 07:20

Hello, I have been searching the forum for this subject but can't seem to find it.

I have 5 years of English teaching experience, from primary school to certificate courses.
I have never needed a TEFL certificate as all my positions came when I aplied in person and they were satisfied with what I already had as qualifications.

Now I would like to apply abroad via electronic CV. Could anyone tell me if an online course would be a good option for me seeing as I have the experience needed already as employers will be looking at the CV on face value I assume.

Is it just as valid?

Many thanks, all the best,

Borgiss

Alex Case
Teacher Trainer

Re: online course vs land course -advantages disadvantages

Unread postby Alex Case » 16 Jan 2011, 23:33

In your situation, an online course is pretty worthless. If they are looking for someone with qualifications and experience, that means at least a face to face course with 100 hours of instruction and 6 hours of observed teaching practice. Depending on the country, it may also have to be a well-known course such as the Cambridge CELTA. Do you mind if I ask where you are from and where you are thinking of going, as that will have some impact on my answers

Return to “Teacher Training Discussion”