MA Applied Linguistics v MA TESOL

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

aridion

MA Applied Linguistics v MA TESOL

Unread post by aridion »

Hello.
I am a new member here. As I was reading through some of the other threads I realised that the OP's received some very good advice. So I have decided to join.
My situation is this. I have received an offer of a place on MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL from Newcastle University. I have seen some posters on this forum mention that an MA TESOL would be preferable to an MA Applied Linguistics for pursuing a career in the EFL field. Is this through?
Also, I have taught for approximately 7 years in both South Korea and Thailand without having any EFL certificate. I am interested in doing a DELTA after I finish my MA (If I don't feel too tired). This would help me to become a Teacher Trainer. I know that University of Bath do a DELTA simultaneously with the MA TESOL. Are there any other institutuons in the UK that offer this (DELTA) as part of the MA?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: MA Applied Linguistics v MA TESOL

Unread post by Alex Case »

Universities in the UK which are listed as Delta course providers are:

Nottingham Trent
The University of Sheffield
University College London
University of Bath
Leeds Metropolitan

I'm guessing those are all combinable with an MA. You should easily be able to check on each university's site.

The other way is to do the Delta anywhere and then choose a university that gives credit for having it. Cambridge supplies a list here:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/teac ... tions.html
aridion

Re: MA Applied Linguistics v MA TESOL

Unread post by aridion »

Thanks for the info Alex. I will check those out.