What are my chances of teaching in Middle East?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Maheen

What are my chances of teaching in Middle East?

Unread post by Maheen »

Hello Folks,

I am a newbie and need some concrete advice. I have a BSC in Archaeological Sciences and History, Msc in Social Archaeology and South Asian History and I am now doing my Mphil in Ancient Ideology and Economy: Indus Valley Civilization. I intend to do a PGCE (further education) in history after I have completed my degree . I also intend to do a 120 hour TEFL course with TEFL-england and CertTrinity course next year. Will this be sufficient enough to teach in the Middle east? (I am going to do voluntary work at a local school- once a week). I am paticularly interested in teaching in the Middle East or/and South East Asia. I want to work for few year or so and then come back to England and do a PhD in Social Anthropology and Education.

So what are my chances of securing a teaching job in UAE or any Middle Eastern country?

Cheerio folks.
Last edited by josef on 27 Nov 2010, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more meaningful subject line
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: What are my chances of teaching in Middle East?

Unread post by Alex Case »

The gulf states tend to expect quite a lot of experience, and often an MA. The closest big and easy market that takes lots of beginner teachers is Turkey. In SE Asia, Thailand is also an alright first teaching destination. Don't expect to get rich in either place though!
Maheen

Re: What are my chances of teaching in Middle East?

Unread post by Maheen »

Thanks for the reply Alex. WellI do intend to start my voluntary work in the next few weeks. I I don't intend to teach for at least 18 months to 2 years, so would 2 years experience be sufficient? The reason why the Middle East appeals to me is because I can speak the language and of course I am a Muslim so I can , kind of, adjust to the 'Islamic' lifestyle/regime. Also for religious reasons I'd love to work in Saudi Arabia so I can perform religious rituals as many times I'd like.

But I don't think I could do a MA in TESOL or Education, not as rich as I'd like to be unfortunately.

But nevertheless thank you for your reply.