Saxoncourt teacher training

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

jonford

Saxoncourt teacher training

Unread post by jonford »

I was wondering if anybody has taken the CELTA course at the Saxoncourt teacher training centre on South Molton street and if you can recommend it?
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Saxoncourt teacher training

Unread post by systematic »

Hi. As has been mentioned many times on this site, CELTA courses are provided under strict conditions monitored by Cambridge University, and are generally the same everywhere. Check however that course providers are genuine, as scams in the past have revealed that course providers have offered so called 'CELTA' courses, which on completion did not privide a genuine Cambridge CELA certificate. Saxon Court is a trusted provider, and their quality is immediately recognisable through the professionalism and clean, 'no hype, no bullshit' lines of their website.
Cauldwell

Unread post by Cauldwell »

Hi - I am applying for this course at Saxoncourt and I feel that I am being a bit pedantic but they have asked for payment in advance without an invoice. I am sure I am being overcautious, as I used to work in the accounting sector, but is this typical practice for this industry?
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

Like many things, this is not so much a question of what is "typical practice for this industry" as what is "good business practice" full stop.

What exactly do you mean "without an invoice"? They don't want to issue an invoice in advance, or they won't give a receipt on payment? How is payment to be made? If online, many businesses request payment without an invoice, though they would normally issue a receipt, usually by email.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Generally, all schools, colleges, universities, and other institutes of learning require pre payment of their fees. In many cases, a face-to-face course will only open when sufficient enrollments to cover costs have been made and paid. If you are paying by credit card whether online or not, you will need neither invoice nor receipt. If you are paying by cheque, the clearance through your bank will be your receipt. If you are paying cash over the counter, I'm sure they will issue a receipt. As holder of a first degree in Business Studies, I can assure you that an invoice is not a customary prerequisite, by all means, for conducting business. As I mentioned before, Saxon Court is a trusted course provider.
Cauldwell

Many thanks for both replies, they were very helpful. I am in fact a qualified accountant who wishes to change direction in my life; hence the TEFL. When I have worked previously in companies within or supervising accounts payable, when payment for a service or product was required in advance generally the company would issue a proforma invoice so you could see exactly what you were purchasing. However I take your point the Saxon Court is a trusted provideer. I am paying via a bank transfer. I take your point that I will have evidence of payment but I just wanted some hard copy confirmation of what in fact I was paying for, a proforma invoice would have fit the bill, and that usually does happen in business to business situations in my experience.
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

If it's on the cambridge esol website, they should be fine. Maybe you can ask if you can pay a deposit first?

I felt the same way when I went to Skola. All i got was a tiny credit card payment receipt. But there were no problems.

Good luck with your change in career!
Cauldwell

That is reassuring and thanks for the good wishes!

Saxonxcourt put all the details on an email for me in the end but given all your reassurances and the fact that they are on the Cambridge Esol website, it probably was unnecessary.

When did you do your course with Skola and how do you find teaching?
Cratylus

Unread post by Cratylus »

BE CAREFUL WITH SAXONCOURT IN LONDON!!!

I know this post is old. But I need to alert people who are thinking about enrolling at Saxoncourt today. They have a terrible reputation, I didn’t believe because the complaints were old, and I thought: things must have changed. Biggest mistake!!

In their website (Saxoncourt and Shane Global) they show pictures of a modern and clean place. So I paid in advanced before I arrived in England to secure my place. But the reality is far from that. It is an old, dirty, stinky place, they lack structure, old building, badly cared, our classroom was equipped with old furniture and nothing more than a board, and we had to chase for some trashy CD player to give our classes, they have a dozen books they call “library”, only ONE computer reserved for CELTA trainees (look at the pictures in my blog). I was so shocked when I arrived that I couldn't concentrate on my studies. I tried to calm down and thought: as long as the learning experience is good... Unfortunately it was not the case.
The teacher was very rude, impatient, not approachable. Just to give an example: when I gave my first class, she stayed at the back of the classroom making faces of displeasure and shaking her head in disapproval as she took notes. I felt terrible. After that, to give me my feedback, she said: I CAN SEE YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED TEACHER, BUT UNFORTUNATELY YOU DON'T FOLLOW THE CELTA CRITERIA. I tried to justify what I did, she didn't give me a chance to talk, she raised her hand on my face to "block" me and said arrogantly: I AM SORRY IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT I AM SAYING, BUT THIS IS MY JOB.

I thought many of her attitudes were unacceptable and offensive. I wasn't able to study anymore and decided to leave and ask for a refund. Of course they refused to give me. I lost all my money. I decided to give students a paper with the link of Cambridge website where they can complain about the school in case they have problems. The school called the police to get me out of there. It was a total nightmare.

Please, if you know someone who will take Celta in London, let them know about this. I wish someone had told me about this school before.

See pictures and more details in my blog: saxoncourt-celta-nightmare
http://saxoncourt-celta-nightmare.blogspot.com.br/