Sticky situation: Confused and need some advice

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Susan

Registered Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 22:01
Status: Trainee Teacher

Sticky situation: Confused and need some advice

Unread postby monotone » 23 Aug 2010, 19:19

This past April I visited Vietnam and fell in love. When arriving back to the States, I decided that I wanted to venture off and teach English overseas.

I have a BA in Sociology with a minor in Child Development, however do not have teaching experience or lesson planning experience. In order to better myself with a guarantee for job placement, I decided that I wanted to get my TEFL certificate. My plan is to go to Ho Chi Minh City, complete a program, and look for a teaching job after I am "certified" with plans of staying in the country for as long as I can.

This is where I messed up. I rushed and didn't know there was a CELTA program until after paying a $500.00 deposit to TEFL International. I also did heavy research AFTER paying the down payment, finding out that there are many horror stories about TEFL International. I then researched about ILA in Ho Chi Minh City and their CELTA program seems legit.

My question is should I take a $500 dollar burn and do the CELTA program at ILA, or should I continue with the original plan and go through TEFL? I'm torn. Yes, I know that is what happens when you rush and do not pump the brakes.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Return to “Teacher Training Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 13 guests