Is this a good idea?

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

Is this a good idea?

Unread postby billybudd » 09 Jun 2010, 00:43

Hello everyone!

I recently bumped into TEFL after trying to find a way to volunteer. It's a curious thing to be able to find paid work easier than it is to volunteer your work for free in another country.

I'm taking a break out of college to figure out just what it is I want to do with myself. One idea I've been thinking about pretty hard recently is to sign up for a CELTA course in Denver, CO this summer, and, after that, to try to get a position teaching in a Spanish speaking country (I know this language the best). I'm not sure how I'll take to this kind of work, but if I like it I could come back and finish my degree with a major maybe in Linguistics. Once I have a degree, Peacecorps will take me, and hopefully I'll be able to pick up a new language quicker than Spanish is taking me now. I really love the idea of being able to spend every other year in a different country.

What I'm posting for is to get my thoughts together, and hopefully for someone to give me a reality check. I don't know very much on this subject, and might be too impulsive for my own good.

How does it sound my new friends? Possible? a bad idea? or maybe is there a better way to go about this?
billybudd
Registered Member

Return to Teacher Training Discussion