TEFL Certification from an Intensive English Program?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

lisad

TEFL Certification from an Intensive English Program?

Unread post by lisad »

I like many others would like to teach English abroad. I typed TEFL courses in Google and got pages and pages of results. This was a bit overwhelming. Next I looked at what kind of certifications employers are wanting. I found quite a few (not all) employers would like someone with a Celta, Delta or Trinity. I looked online at the Cambridge Celta website and found the closest center was way too far for me. Also call me old fashioned, but I would rather prefer to physically see and meet the instructors and faculty in person.

But I did find inclass courses at the Spring International Language Center at U of A in Fayetteville. (http://www.uark.edu/depts/silc/ark/) The center offers TEFL certification. They are accredited with ACCEST and CEA. I'm not sure how they are tied to U of A though. They have university email address. Also the website is an university website. Anyway, I have 2 thoughts that bother me.

Spring International is mainly for people enrolling in an intensive English program. I'm just worried about the TEFL program, because the center is not focused on just TEFL. The TEFL certification is a special program offered there. The link is to the program http://www.uark.edu/depts/silc/ark/ So looking over this, can anyone tell if this would be a program that would look favorable to future employers? Does it matter if the TEFL certification came from a center mainly focused in intensive English?

Second, my friend from Portugal, told me it doesn't matter where I go to take classes, because my certification would be from the US. How valid is his point? I figure I can get a poopy degree from anywhere in world. But since this field is highly unregulated, I feel that he has a valid point. But I feel, Spring International would be a good choice, and just as good as a Celta certification. Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing.

Please tell me your thoughts.
lisad

Re: TEFL Certification from an Intensive English Program?

Unread post by lisad »

i found an oops. ACCEST should be ACCET. Thanks
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL Certification from an Intensive English Program?

Unread post by systematic »

If you are thinking of teaching outside the country where you take your TESOL course, be aware (as mentioned in may threads on this board) that an 'accreditation' counts practically for nothing on an international scale, except perhaps for the highly revered Cambridge CELTA, or the Trinity cert., which are both well known across the globe, and just happen to be British courses. There is no guarantee that American or Canadian courses attract more esteem. Courses that are offered specifically as a Cert. TESOL or TEFL by a recognised, internationally accredited university are usually a safe bet. Nevertheless , your question is one of the most hotly discussed subjects at TEFL.net - don't hesitate to search our site for existing comments and advice.