could some one please help me answer the following question and correct me if i am wrong .. thanks xxx
1. look at the diallogue below and label the function of each utternace.
informal dialogue -function
a) hey bob - greeting
b) yeah? - respond from the greeting
c) help me with the case will you - making a request
d) sorry, but Anne's waiting for me - refusing a request
e) OK. Never mind. -accepting a refusal
this is clearly an informal conversation between two freinds, imagine a similar dialgue with the same number of lines and using the same funtions between two people who do no know each other.
informal dialogue formal dialogue
a)hey bob - Hello bob
b) yeah? - yes? what can i do for you?
c) help me with the case will you?
- could you please help me with this case?
d) sorry, but Anne's waiting for me.-
-i am sorry i cant, as Anne is waiting for me
e) OK. never mind - it doesnt matter, thanks
2. copy the following words and underline the syllable which carries the main stress.
d) record (verb)
e) record (noun)
3. underline the 'odd one out' in the following groups of words and give your reason.
a)taken went seen forgotten
b)bright early good some
c)never but unless because
d)luggage cup cutlery furniture
e)rough tough enough cough
no idea on how to do this?
what am i suppose to do here??
4. Error correction
Each of these sentences below contain an error or inappropriate use of language. how would you explain these mistakes to an adult language learner?
keep the explaination simple but it is nit necessary to avoid grammer terminology altogether e.g noun,verb, tense, preposition.
1) "i like to invite you to my birthday"
2) "i have visited Washington two years ago."
3) " i was very upset when the other car hardly missed me.!
4) "who went you with to the cinema last night."
5) (husband to wife): "take a note please darling. for starters, I'll have some vegetable soup and for the main course i'll have a steak - medium - rare if you dont mind."
1) "i would like to..", as some one is inviting them.
2) about two years ago?
4) who went with you. this is a question asking who did you go with.