CELTA Interview

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Oscar

CELTA Interview

Unread post by Oscar »

Hi everyone,

I applied for a CELTA course and I was advised that I was invited for an interview. I was very happy to hear that but at the same time I started to feel a little nervous as I have no idea what I should expect. It would take 2 hours I heard. It is long!

I checked several posts here to see if I could get some ideas as to what would happen in an interview, but could't find any specific info.

I am most grateful if any of you could give me any ideas what I should expect and if there is anything I should prepare beforehand. I really want to be accepted to the course.

Many thanks for your kind help!

O
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA Interview

Unread post by Briona »

Hi Oscar,

Two hours! I don't think so! Mine took around 40 minutes.

Initially the interviewer asked me to tell him a bit about myself, e.g., what I had been doing to date, why I wanted to do the CELTA, why I chose the course at that particular centre, etc. We then discussed some of my answers to the pre-interview task. After that the interviewer told me what the course involved – input sessions, Teaching Practice (TP) prep, TP, TP feedback, 4 written assignments, etc – and asked whether I thought I'd be able to cope with the work (it really IS intensive!). Finally he said "I'm pleased to be able to offer you a place".

The CELTA is THE most intensive thing I have ever done (and mine was a five-week course!). Say goodbye to life as you know it. Seriously. Instead, think late night lesson-planning, last-minute tweaking of the dreaded 'Aims & Analysis' forms and panicking over Parrott or stressing over Swann (particularly when it comes to Assignment 2). Add to that regularly getting less than five hours sleep a night and you've got an insight into life as a CELTA-trainee! It was all worth it though because not only did I survive the course, I came out with a Pass A! Now all I have to do is secure a job...

Good luck with the interview and apologies if I've scared you! It really is worth doing and the sense of achievement is immense!

Briona
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

An AS Pass grade?! Congratulations, they're suppose to be very rare (approximately less than 5% of CELTA candidates in the country achieve AS Pass grade, I think).

But 2 hours for a CELTA interview does sound quite extreme. Mine involved a 20-30 mins pre interview test (after having completed a test at home as part of the application process for the interview) and a 20 minute discussion.

It should take approximately 1 hour. Where are you taking this course btw?
Oscar

Unread post by Oscar »

Hi both of you,

Briona, many thanks for your reply and Congratulations on your great result! I am sure you will find a great job soon! I already feel lucky speaking to you :-) Yes, I've heard that its so intensive. I am not certain, if I am honest, whether I will survive! But if I am accepted I will try my best. To start with, I will think about why I chose certain courses. Btw, I am happy with 4 weeks!!!

Pokedmund, thanks for your reply. I applied for 4 courses, all in central London. I completed a quite massive pre-interview task for one course, for another, I did a small task on-line, as for the rest, they said it would be for around 2 hours!!! Maybe, they made sure we interviewees are very well prepared mentally. In terms of schools, do you have any recommendations?

My interviews are scheduled during this week, so please wish me good luck!

I will keep you posted :-)

Thanks!!!
O
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

Judging from the way you write in your response, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Just make sure that the course your applied for is located on the Cambridge website:
http://cambridgeesol-centres.org/centre ... g/index.do

I've actually got my final lesson tomorrow! but I did a 12 week part time course and even that was quite a struggle! (working 9-5 Monday to Friday as well).

Final late night of lesson plans, and that I've got to start looking for a job elsewhere. But good luck for the interview! Just go through your pre-interview task and brush up on those answers.

Try not to worry too much about grammar, it helps to know as much as possible but the interviewers are usually understanding if your grammar is so-so.