Legitimacy of Training School

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

Legitimacy of Training School

Unread postby indiemod » 10 Feb 2010, 03:06

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Spain within the upcoming months. He is British and wants to train as an EFL teacher. My question is about all the on line programs available to grant the certificate. One stands out, but we want to make sure they are a properly accredited school of language instruction. I can't find out anything negative about them on the internet. The accreditation they list is Ascentis, ODLQC, ABLS, and Learn Direct (Scotland). Can you tell us if these are valid accreditations. It is a 150 hour course with live evaluations of instruction performance (teaching practice certificate.) The options are one week or two weeks for the teaching practice. Is two weeks necessary or will one week (6 class room hours) be enough?

Thanks,
J. Collins
indiemod
Registered Member

Re: Legitimacy of Training School

Unread postby Lucas » 10 Feb 2010, 20:48

Ascentis is approved by the QCA (UK Government authority) so they definitely provide a good standard in TEFL/TESOL education.
The more teaching practice, the better. CELTA's practicum is only 6 hours and they are the most popular, so I guess you can go with 1 week, but try to get more if you can.
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
Lucas
Gold Member

Unread postby indiemod » 15 Feb 2010, 08:19

Thank-you, Lucas for your help! We appreciate your reply.

J. Collins
indiemod
Registered Member

Unread postby systematic » 17 Feb 2010, 01:46

indiemod,

There are two forums on this board that discusses in exceptionally great detail, all the accreditors, and for what they are worth. Especially in Spain, there is at least one training outfit that is accredited by an organisation that is nothing more, apparently, than a blatant scam.
For some reason, of all the European countries, Spain stands out as the one with the most reports of mal practice.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.

Return to Teacher Training Discussion