Question for All, mainly TEFL teachers in Hong Kong

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

pokedmund
Rising Star

Question for All, mainly TEFL teachers in Hong Kong

Unread post by pokedmund »

I've tried to read as many messages and topics as possible on this forum, but unfortunately I still have questions which I hope someone could answer for me.

I'm 27 years old, turning 28 this year and am working full time within the NHS (government Health organisation in the UK, as an hospital administrator). I have studied a degree in Biology many years ago.

My parents are from Hong Kong and I am Ethnically Chinese, but my first language is English, second being Cantonese and I am looking to teach English in Hong Kong. I've always wanted to teach and wanted to work in Hong Kong and feel this could be an opportunity for me to do so.

Having looked at all the courses on offer (online and on-site), I would really love to do a Trinity or CELTA course but do not feel experienced enough in Teaching to do this nor able to quit my job in order to go on a 4-week intensive course, hence I am looking at the 20 hour weekend Courses. I am thinking of avoiding the 40, 65 or 120 Hours online courses as it appears that these only look good on Paper, but have little benefit towards the knowleged for the User?

I'm guessing that the benefits of the 40, 65 and 120 hour courses is that you stand out better when handing in the Job applications or that you will get into the better schools? Another problem that I have is the work experience. Would it be advisable to slug it out in a school for a fix period of time and then reapplying for a better school once I have the experience under my belt?

My question for the users of this forum are mainly for ones who have taught in Hong Kong. Is a TEFL enough to find a job in Hong Kong or do I need to complete the CELTA?
Former Native English Teacher in Hong Kong for 3 years.
British Born Chinese.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Question for All, mainly TEFL teachers in Hong Kong

Unread post by Alex Case »

From what I've heard, you will need the CELTA or Trinity TESOL plus teaching experience in another country to get a job in Hong Kong. China, Japan and Korea, also all in East Asia, are easy places to get that initial experience and would perhaps provide for easy trips to Hong Kong and an interesting contrast of similiarities and differences
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

Hello,
An alternative to CELTA and Trinity is Ontesol's 250-hour online course with practicum (Recognized by TESL Canada Professional Standard 2). This program is an extended version of Coventry House International's 5-week Trinity CertTESOL course (TESL Canada Standard 1). It also costs half of a CELTA and Trinity and you have the flexibility of taking up to 6 months to complete everything.
Cheers,
Lucas from Ontesol
www.ontesol.com
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

My question for the users of this forum are mainly for ones who have taught in Hong Kong. Is a TEFL enough to find a job in Hong Kong or do I need to complete the CELTA?
A TEFL certificate is enough. Our certificate, for example, is accepted by the Education Bureau in Hong Kong and we have graduates working there.

TEFL in Hong Kong
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

Many thanks to everyone for their swift replies. I've decided that I will go ahead with the CELTA. Online courses just aren't right for me.

I've also contacted a teaching agency in Hong Kong who specifically stipulated that they want a candidate with a TEFL, but to have 100 contact hours of learning the course.

I've got an Interview next week with SKOLA, and will hope to start the course this month (I've allegedly been told to pay up quickly as there are only 2 slots left).

Obviously, if anyone has had any bad experiences with SKOLA in Soho (UK), please LET ME KNOW!
Former Native English Teacher in Hong Kong for 3 years.
British Born Chinese.