Which TEFL program to trust!?!?!?!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

sakbelle

Which TEFL program to trust!?!?!?!

Unread post by sakbelle »

I recently began my research of TEFL programs abroad. I want to teach English in Rome, Italy. As most of you know the number of TEFL certification programs is overwhelming. I see positive and negative things about 'TEFL International' (which has several different companies/websites under the same name!?). Also I know Trinity and CELTA programs are highly regarded, but pricey.
I would like to find a credible, well respected and worthwhile program that is affordable. I have read all about the "ways, tips and tricks" to find a reputable program and still it is difficult to trust.
Can ANYBODY recommend a program!!?!??? Have you or someone you know completed a good TEFL training program that you can endorse??? Or do you know about a good TEFL/TESOL/CELTA program in Rome!?!?

...I feel like this research will take forever without the honest recommendation of an actual TEFL teacher. :?:
odyssey
Rising Star

Re: Which TEFL program to trust!?!?!?!

Unread post by odyssey »

sakbelle wrote:I see positive and negative things about 'TEFL International' (which has several different companies/websites under the same name!?)
That kind of dodgy practice (multiple sites, mirrors etc) should tell you something.
sakbelle wrote:I know Trinity and CELTA programs are highly regarded, but pricey.
There could be a reason why they're pricey.

To answer your question more directly, I did a CELTA equivalent a while ago (it was TEFLA in those days) and would recommend it. There were fewer courses to choose from than now it's true (pre-internet), but it took me about 5 seconds to decide. I never understand why there is all this discussion about TEFL courses. There are three quality outfits (Trinity, Cambridge [which does CELTA] and SIT). You get what you pay for.
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

You do get what you pay for... and I understand that there must be a balance between the course's price and the salary that you will receive in the country where you want to teach, but the course you take will dictate how much you will enjoy teaching and the quality of lessons that your students will get from you (In more competitive job markets, it will also dictate whether you actually get the job and the salary you'll receive).

Trinity and CELTA are the most regarded. A TESL Canada certificate is actually necessary to work in Canada and it's also highly regarded throughout the world. Take a look at Ontesol's 250-hour Specialized program. It's recognized by TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 and ACTDEC UK Level 3. This program is excellent for those who are interested in taking an advance course online (You do not need any teaching experience or prior TEFL/TESOL qualifications). A 20-hour practicum is also available for those who apply and it's actually required to obtain TESL Canada's accreditation. The program doesn't differ much, in terms of quality, from Coventry House International's Trinity CertTESOL course, but it's less expensive and you will not need to upgrade to a CELTA or Trinity if you take this course because this certificate is recognized everywhere in the UK, Canada, Australia, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, and the USA (in private schools).

If you are looking for an introductory course to get an entry level job, Ontesol also offers a 100-hour program, accredited by ACTDEC UK Level 1. Anybody who takes an 100-hour, or less, course online that is less than $400 and takes less than 3 weeks to complete will eventually need to take a more advance course in the next 1-3 years.

http://www.study-at-coventry.com
http://www.ontesol.com
Ontesol - Online TESOL/TEFL courses. http://www.ontesol.com
sakbelle

Unread post by sakbelle »

Thank you for your responses. Here's the thing, I am from the US and actually already have a California Teaching Credential. I have a year of student teaching experience and experience teaching my own summer school class. Although I want a credible program, I do not necessarily need a ton of teacher training. I am more interested in a program that I can, of course gain some ESL skills, but also meet new people and thoroughly enjoy an experience living in Italy all while building my resume and practicing my craft.

I just want a TEFL program that doesn't rip me off or isn't totally made up. It doesn't have to be THE BEST kind of TEFL certificate. I would like to know that when I land in Rome there is actually a course to attend and a place to live.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Check out http://teflcoursereview.com which lists different kinds of TEFL cert providers. They are reviewed by former students and reading a few of these will give you a good idea of what to expect and how the course is regarded.

When you do finally choose a course, make sure to do a search online for "[course name] scam" and see what comes up!
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Do take a moment to check out all the other threads on this board that concern your questions, as this subject is one of the most hotly discussed topics here, and in particular, search Alex Case's blog on this site for real-life examples of the scams that many course providers appear to operate - particularly the use by the same organisation of many different corporate identities and websites.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
TeacherRussia

Unread post by TeacherRussia »

I am an English teacher in Russia and have been teaching for nearly two years. If you are going to do an internet based certification program, I would recommend this one:

http://www.seriousteachers.com/TEFL/Tef ... l=10024979

I couldn't give any recommendations about any specific courses you could take in person at a university or anything like that.

Good luck,

Louis
Louis Marinelli
Kent State University
B.S. Russian Translation
Kent, OH 44243
jpeterson

Unread post by jpeterson »

Louis,

I am a prospective tefl program student and I am curious as to why you recommend the serious teachers program. Any insight is helpful for specific online programs. Thank you!