Is Tefl for me?

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

Is Tefl for me?

Unread postby nomad » 03 Jul 2009, 18:56

Hello everyone,
I'm currently a college student considering TEFL. Right now I am in a teaching program for foreign language, Spanish and French. What drives me to foreign language is that I love to travel, I love different cultures, and seem to have a talent for picking up a language. I'm into teaching because I'm patient and enjoy helping out fellow students. I currently have another 3 or 4 years of school left before I get my certification, and am wondering if I should get the TEFL certification as well. I enjoy the idea of traveling to different countries, as of right now I have studied in Costa Rica and France, I'm nativly from USA.

Is it possible to work in one country for one or two years and then move on to another country, and so on and so forth? Or do the schools tend to prefer more permenant employees? In my mind it would be great to work in China for two years, then get a job in Russia for two years, then move on to Spain, France, Egypt, Japan, and so forth but I question how viable such a plan is. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
nomad
Registered Member

Re: Is Tefl for me?

Unread postby Alex Case » 09 Jul 2009, 10:45

Yes

In answer to your supplementary questions:

Yes

Not particularly, two years is a long time in TEFL

It's viable, except working in the EU without an EU passport
Alex Case
Teacher Trainer

Return to Teacher Training Discussion