Help with choosing the right TEFL/TESOL Course

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

Help with choosing the right TEFL/TESOL Course

Unread postby DubyCarter » 22 Jun 2009, 19:10

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and would love if I can get some advice from people who know a lot better than I do!

I am thinking about doing a TEFL/TESOL course in London. I'm having problems trying to choose the right course for myself. First off, I'm on a tight budget, so any 4 week courses for 500 pounds to over 1000 pounds are out of the question! I am a native English speaker, so I'm ok in this regard.

I was wondering what are my prospects to find work if I did a 2-3 day course, this will be a maximum of 20-25 hours in total. I also would like to do Business English TEFL.

Do you think I can get a good job in Europe, or probably Dubai or Turkey with a 2-3 days TEFL course? Or should I just save the money and do a proper 4 week course? Time is of the essence, im working full time, so the 4 week full time course would also not be ideal.

Also, what are your take on Teaching Business English? Are my career prospects better in this segment? Is the pay usually more as a teacher of business english to adults, organisations?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

Duby
DubyCarter
Registered Member

Re: Help with choosing the right TEFL/TESOL Course

Unread postby ICAL_Pete » 25 Jun 2009, 12:20

To be honest 25hrs seems rather little. Not only in terms of hours attached to the certification but also in terms of depth and quality of the instruction.

Having a limited budget doesn’t necessarily mean you have to cut down on quality.

Online courses can provide a thorough grounding in a new career and the right tools to approach a new profession within a manageable amount of time and finances. They are a good option particularly if you have a limited budget to further your studies or if you have other work and/or family commitments that restrict the amount of time you have available to study.

Many good schools around the world happily accept online TEFL Certificates issued by reputable organizations. So if you are looking for a way to get some basic training and a foot in the door, online training is an option worth considering.

Just make sure you choose a reliable course provider, and this applies to any course whether it is conducted online or onsite. For independent feedback on ICAL TEFL Certificate Course (100hrs) see here.
ICAL_Pete
Platinum Member

Unread postby DubyCarter » 25 Jun 2009, 12:51

Thanks for your advice.

I was considering online TEFL, but my objective is to teach in Dubai. Having looked at information online, it seems that Online TEFL courses are not accepted by employers in Dubai. They strictly would like someone who has gone to a in class TEFl. I guess I will have to test a few employers and see if they wud accept ICAL online or other to see what my chances are from there.

Thanks again and please feel free to comment further.

DubyCarter
DubyCarter
Registered Member

Unread postby systematic » 28 Jun 2009, 01:09

Most of the schools that I know do not accord much, if any, value to a 25 hour on-line course.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.

Return to Teacher Training Discussion