TEFL IN Japan - Where to start?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Optimystic

TEFL IN Japan - Where to start?

Unread post by Optimystic »

Hello forum,

So i had a a beautiful epiphany the other morning, and realised that i really really want to TEFL in Japan.

I'm a native speaker and have a degree in English with Film, currently living in the UK, no official TEFL qualifications. I'm finding the amount of information to be a bit overwhelming, can anyone give me some very basic pointers in terms of getting started on this? I would absolutely love to work in Japan, if not in a city then on the outskirts.

Do i necessarily need to spend an obscene amount of money on getting qualified? Anyone perhaps work in Japan themselves and can offer some advice?

Many thanks.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL IN Japan - Where to start?

Unread post by Alex Case »

A thousand pounds is not an obscene amount of money. You'd pay much more and get much less if you wanted to train to be an NLP practioner, a programmer or a therapist. You'll also save much more than that in your first year in Japan. It is possible to get a job without a 4 week cert, but it is not possible to do your job well with just the training they will give you. It will also limit your choice of skills and your options for moving on if you don't like the school you choose.

When you apply for a CELTA or Trinity Cert TESOL, your course provider will be able to give you lots of info on getting good (or at least reasonable) jobs in Japan