A few questions about CELTA

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

A few questions about CELTA

Unread postby MikeA » 07 May 2009, 08:51

I am 22.
I do not have a college degree.

However, I have a great passion for both travel and teaching. As simple as it may seem, I always loved sitting down with the multiple foreign exchange students that spent time at my high school and helping them with English. After 4 years of working in the environmental (asbestos abatement) field, I am ready to move onto something more fulfilling.

I feel that I have a pretty decent grasp on the English language as far as speaking it, but I need to work on the more detailed aspects of tenses and grammar.

What recommendations could you give me as far as what to study before taking a phone interview or whatever else it is that consists in the entrance exam for a CELTA course? Also, what difficulty will I have finding a course that accepts me without a college degree? And lastly, will not having a college degree severely limit me finding a TEFL job even if I am CELTA certified?

Thank you very much for your help!
MikeA
Registered Member

Re: A few questions about CELTA

Unread postby Alex Case » 13 May 2009, 11:28

CELTA is the best qualification to take if you can get on a course, but yes it will be more difficult than for people with a degree. Polish up your language knowledge (grammar etc) and try learning another language to see it from the student's viewpoint before the interview. And yes, it will be much more difficult getting a job and maybe impossible to get a decent long term job with no degree. If I was you, I'd stick it out a few more years while you do a distance degree back home
Alex Case
Teacher Trainer

Return to Teacher Training Discussion