Will I be able to get a good TEFL job?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

sw1984

Will I be able to get a good TEFL job?

Unread post by sw1984 »

Hi everyone. I have two questions regarding my possible TEFL future. I hope someone can help.

1)After googling and lots of reading, I've decided to do a part-time CELTA course in London. Does anyone have a recommendation? (I'm thinking of applying to oxford house.)

2)I'm bilingual english/dutch. However, the only formal english qaulifications I have are my GCSEs from almost ten years ago. Obviously my english has improved a thousand fold since then. (I do have a BSc and a MA but from a non-english university.)

Will this be a problem when I start looking for a job? Will I be admitted to the course?

Wait, that's three questions. Anyway: thanx! :)
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Will I be able to get a good TEFL job?

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Whether or not your BSc and MA will be taken into account will depend on which country you apply for work. Some countries require that you hold a degree from one of the main English speaking countries. However there are also places where holding a degree is not the be and end all.

As to whether they will take on the course, why not check with them directly?
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Will I be able to get a good TEFL job?

Unread post by systematic »

Most TESOL course providers will take you whether you have a degree or not - they are more interested in their turnover than what your future beholds.
Your university degree is almost a universal passport to teaching practically everywhere. A degree is required by governments. The TESOL is required by many, but not all schools.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.