another online TEFL question

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

timbizz

another online TEFL question

Unread post by timbizz »

I'm currently living in Madrid and would like to do the 4 week classroom based TEFL but funds and time won't allow it!!!
Would an online TEFL be beneficial if backed up with taking a few private students? Maybe even a weekend course after the online to get class experience?
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: another online TEFL question

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Online courses offer a great training opportunity at entry level. They can provide a thorough grounding in a new career and the right tools to approach a new profession within a manageable amount of time and finances.

More and more schools around the world recognize the value of online certificates issued by professional organizations and employers no longer discriminate between Certificates obtained through traditional institutes and those online. Just be careful who you choose as your course provider (and this applies whether they are online or not) and make sure what they offer is of good standard.

As to gaining experience while you are studying for your TESL/TEFL Certificate, you could also look at volunteering with local associations involved with ESL teaching. City Councils, Parishes and local Libraries often organize literacy programs for immigrants, for example, and volunteers are always welcome. By volunteering in a project like these you will not only contribute to your local community but you will also be able to apply TESL/TEFL theories, strategies and techniques discussed in the course and appreciate their full value.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

I Timbizz

I was going to fire away with one of my warnings about scams, but you should check out ICALpete page about accreditation, because unlike my somewhat milder TESOL Scam Warning, he gets straight to the quick. Nevertheless, there are two opinions and warnings for you, and beware particularly of organisations that claim to be the largest worldwide, or that use the word international in their name. Closer examination of some institutes will reveal also that some are just one, which makes itself look big by publishing dozens of worldwide web sites for fictitious branches, and as Pete says, some may even be operating out of a bedroom.
Thailand appears to be the epicentre of TESOL course scams - check out latest reports on this Thai TESOL forum.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
hubertjudge

Unread post by hubertjudge »

Dear Systematic,

I have just tried clicking on the link for the Thai TESOL Forum, only to get the following error message;

'Error 404!

/tesol_discussion
File Not Found!'.

Do you know what has happened to the link?

Yours,
Hubert Judge.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Typo, sorry, try THIS.
It's a very new forum. You can also get to it from its main site at the root URL: http://nittayo.org and clicking on the DISCUSSIONS nav tab.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

systematic wrote: I was going to fire away with one of my warnings about scams, but you should check out ICALpete page about accreditation, because unlike my somewhat milder TESOL Scam Warning, he gets straight to the quick.[/url]
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Systematic!
travelgirl9

Unread post by travelgirl9 »

And online TEFL course will definitely be helpful. I did the 100 hours course with i-to-i and it was really good. The main disadvantage of online courses is the lack of practical experience, but if you can get private students you'll be absolutely sorted. If you're thinking of doing it, i'd recommend i-to-i. The girl I spoke to, Laura, was really helpful. She went out of her way to get me onto weekend course before I went travelling and was generally just great. And i haven't had any trouble finding work.