TEFL & Degree?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Susan

Registered Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Mar 2008, 23:26

TEFL & Degree?

Unread postby jyeppers » 07 Mar 2008, 23:32

I was just wondering if you need to have a degree to as well as the certification to get a job overseas teaching english? Im 23 figured i would try something totally different and take the online course. But every job i see advertised says you need to have a degree? I spoke with a counselor who i was gonna purchase the course through he said that you can get a job overseas with just the certification. I currently live in the US and was wondering what i need to do to start teachin english in spain or another country. Any suggestions on what to do will really help i would hate to spend that money on the online course and be stuck. thanks!!!


User avatar
Platinum Member
Posts: 209
Joined: 28 Nov 2006, 09:05
Status: School Admin
Location: UK

Re: TEFL & Degree?

Unread postby ICAL_Pete » 08 Mar 2008, 15:51

Having a degree is often a requirement of a Country (rather than the individual employer) and its visa regulations. You’ll find that in many places you will need to hold a degree if you want to obtain your work visa and work legally. This is especially true in Asian countries though some of them like Indonesia are more relaxed than others in their checks.

You can of course find ways around this, and many teachers do, but you should be aware of the risks that you may be running by working illegally.

As for Spain, and Europe in general, are you an EU passport holder? I’m asking because EU citizens are usually preferred to non EU citizens as they represent less hassle for the school in terms of bureaucracy. If you are not that shouldn’t put you off from looking at European countries for work but you should bear this in mind when applying for jobs.

Hope this helps

Registered Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 14 Feb 2008, 15:24

Re: TEFL & Degree?

Unread postby tashttmadrid » 13 Mar 2008, 11:25

Hello. Most TEFL courses ask for a degree as the course is so intensive with such a large amount of course work, that a degree gives them proof that you are capabable. However, all courses normally have an alternative way for you to show them that you are capable, this is usually in the form of a telephone interview and an essay. The most important thing if you are looking to work in Europe is that the course you do gives you real teaching experience - you can then take your portfolio of lesson plans, materials, grades etc along to interviews and talk about your experiences of teaching different levels etc. If you are thinking of Spain, think carefully about the location as it is easier for Americans in some cities than others.

Good luck with your adventure!

Return to “Teacher Training Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests