TEFL courses abroad

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

bob2

TEFL courses abroad

Unread post by bob2 »

I want to work abroad as an English teacher once I have finished my degree and I thought it would be a good idea if I got my TEFL certificate this summer, as I’d like to apply for the JET programme or failing that get stuck into a job once I have graduated. I like the idea of doing the course abroad too.

I’m finding it difficult to find the best place to go though, there are loads of things on the net, but I have no idea which ones are actually going to provide good instruction etc. Can anyone give me any advice or info on good schools that offer CELTA certified courses abroad? I’d go pretty much anywhere in the world to do it, but it would be good if I went to Japan (because I want to apply for the JET programme), Thailand (because I have friends there), Korea or China (because I’d just love to go).

I'm a student, so obviously price is an issue too, but i'd rather pay for quality than get rubbish on the cheap.

I would be thankful for any information at all, because I'm completely lost at the moment.
jenfyre25

Try Prague

Unread post by jenfyre25 »

You might want to check out TEFL Worldwide Prague (http://www.teflworldwideprague.com). I took my certification course with them and found the cost to cost of living ratio quite manageable. Prague is roughly 1/3 the cost of taking courses elsewhere in places like the US, Western Europe, or the more expensive parts of Asia. Plus, they offer lifetime job assistance and will help ensure that you find the right placement, right after the course and even years later if you decide to move around.

Good luck!
chrisw

Re: TEFL courses abroad

Unread post by chrisw »

Dear Bob,

This is actually a really easy question to answer. Start researching where you would like to teach. Once you have a few locations down, start looking for courses in that area.
Chris Westergaard
The Language House
Daveon

Re: TEFL courses abroad

Unread post by Daveon »

chrisw wrote:Dear Bob,

This is actually a really easy question to answer. Start researching where you would like to teach. Once you have a few locations down, start looking for courses in that area.
What he said.

It really narrows it down on what course provider to jump to when you know where you'd like to teach.

Like me. I was aiming for either EU or Asia.
Then I heard about how hard it is for US citizens to get a work visa...
After that I heard that the Czech Republic was easier to get to, as employers there generally do the visa stuff for you (or not, but still hire you anyways, shhhh)
Finally, after a bit of digging, heard about TEFL International's project for China wherein you'd do an onsite course for dirt cheap, but you'll be in a lock-in job for a few months, which isn't that bad since housing is provided for and you're earning *some* moolah

just in case, http://www.teflintl.com/