Advice on CELTA/TEFL/TESOL qualifications required

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

JAYSON

Advice on CELTA/TEFL/TESOL qualifications required

Unread post by JAYSON »

Hi, I have been teaching English for many years. However, I don't have any CELTA/TEFL/TESOL qualifications. I am going to get one so as to make myself more marketable and competitive. Can you tell me which one, CELTA, TEFL or TESOL, is better and more recognised? I have already got a BA in Translation from HK, MSc in Business from the UK, and International Diploma in Training & Teaching from the UK. In that regard, MA in TESOL/TEFL is not my choice because it's much more expensive and time-consuming. I look forward to hearing your advice. Many thanks!
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

It really depends on where you want to teach and at what level. CELTA has a high profile in Europe and is undoubtedly a popular qualification that will open many doors however it is also true that in most places around the world the basic requirements for entry level teaching positions are a degree plus a TESL/TEFL certificate - not necessarily a CELTA.

However, given your teaching experience you could look at something more than just a basic TEFL course, like the ICAL TESL/TEFL course with Teaching Practice. Some schools favor certification which includes the assessment of the candidate’s teaching practice through close monitoring of actual lessons carried out in a classroom. This course gives scope to those teachers who wish to have such a component included in their training.

Alternatively you could look at specializing in teaching English to young learners, for example. You could also consider a DELTA if you are looking for further career progression but don’t want to go as far as an MA.
JAYSON

Unread post by JAYSON »

Thanks Pete for your advice. However, I am not sure if I can go straight to DELTA qualifications when I don't have the CELTA one as a pre-requisite. Also, I wonder if CELTA/DELTA = TESOL/TEFL qualifications. Can you tell?
Kootvela
Rising Star

My 2 cents

Unread post by Kootvela »

I think all certificate courses include the same material: lesson planning, error correction, classroom management, and many more. Only the name differs. I say, ask for a course outline and see whih one you would like to do as the most interesting/useful.

Also, getting a certificate will not give you teaching experience. Some, yes, but you will have to work hard applying certificate course material in practice. It takes time to be a teacher.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

JAYSON wrote:I wonder if CELTA/DELTA = TESOL/TEFL qualifications. Can you tell?
You should not confuse TESOL, TEFL or TESL with a specific certificate provider. They are terms used to mean the same thing: teaching English to people whose first language is not English.

TEFL is an acronym for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. The term is more commonly used in Europe and Ireland and the UK in particular.

TESL – Teaching English as a Second Language, is generally an American term. It is used widely across Asia, and South America too.

TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages which kind of combines TEFL and TESL.

Usually one or more acronyms are included in the name of these specialized courses to indicate what it is covered. Like the ICAL TESL/TEFL Certificate course or the SIT TESOL Certificate, etc.

CELTA is simply the name of a TEFL course devised by the ESOL division of the University of Cambridge. It stands for Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults. DELTA is the name of their Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults. As for entry requirements you should check their official website.