How to gain teaching experience whilst studying for my TEFL

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

ManiB

How to gain teaching experience whilst studying for my TEFL

Unread post by ManiB »

Hello,

I'm currently half way through studying for my TEFL qualification. Its a distance learning course and I am really keen on getting some teaching experience. I undertook a 20 hour intensive weekend and have a certificate for this.

I live in Maldon, Essex. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Maybe I can start off by teaching conversational English. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Manisha
shlee
Rising Star

options...

Unread post by shlee »

While not being familiar with your area of the world, I would suggest looking into the advertisement sections of any local papers to see what other people are doing in the area of English instruction. This will give you an idea of what is available. Next, try to find out where large contingencies of non-English speaking people live and socialize. This is the tricky part, because you don't want to get into any dangerous situations, but you might find a few people who would be interested in conversational English. Finally, you can go to a community center and mention that you are interested in setting up a class for speakers of other languages who would like to learn English.

These are just a few things that come to mind...hope this helps a little...