CELTA: part-time or full-time

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Christiane

CELTA: part-time or full-time

Unread post by Christiane »

Hello, I'm planning to do a CELTA course starting around August/September.
However I'm not sure whether it would be better to do the course full time or part time.

Obviously everybody did only one of the two, so my questions for you would be:
Which type did you choose?
Were you happy with your choice?
How did you cope with the work load?
What were the advantages?
What were the disadvantages?

Thanks you for your help.
Christiane

(Note: I know that if I do a full time course I'll have less money, so that is not one of my questions. :) )
ayrbv

Unread post by ayrbv »

Hi There
I did the full time course and it was hideous!!

I have studied a great deal over the years and I am used to long hours and a heavy workload, nothing compared to this!

Particularly if you had your afternoon pracs in a row. By the third week everyone was really stressed, sleep deprived and worn out. We all agreed that the course should have been at least twice the length for the amount of work involved. I am of course happy now that I have finished and it is behind me, and even though I have taught for a number of years I did learn a great deal.

My son and his girlfriend are now planning to do CELTA and I am pleased to say they have opted for the part time option!

Good Luck :)
whistleblow

Unread post by whistleblow »

Which type did you choose?
I chose the 4 week intensive course.

Were you happy with your choice?
I was very satisfied with the professionalism and advice provided during the CELTA Course.

How did you cope with the work load?
I really tried to enjoy my time during the CELTA. Just remember that the trainers as well as the trainees have to put the effort and time in as well and that they have deadlines with Cambridge ESOL who oversee the course. Finally, try to remain positive as being negative and stressed shall play against you when being assessed by the trainer. If you are professional and keen to learn, they will mark you up.

What were the advantages?
I learnt how to teach in a short and intense time but also met like minded people who were willing to develop professionally.

What were the disadvantages?
The lack of time to prepare for classes and the commuting that I had to do to the Training Centre.

Hope this info. helps.