7 week versus semester programs

Discussion for Academic Directors, Academic Co-ordinators and all involved in administration and management

Moderator: Susan

7 week versus semester programs

Unread postby intleducator » 31 Jul 2012, 20:27

Good afternoon all, I have a question for you. I am not new to teaching ESL but my role now over International education as a whole puts me in charge of an ESL program with about 100 students. Currently the program operates on 7 week terms. I would prefer they be on semesters as the rest of the institution. I am not familiar with any academic rationale for making this change but I have to think that longer, slower language learning would be better. I have always in the past taught in semester programs so I am skeptical of 7 weeks. My concerns are also, due to my role as a director, the ease of management, burnout of teachers, classroom space, housing and other issues such as difficulty in planning excursions and other activities that will help the students get involved on campus. All would be better in a semester program I feel.

If you have any insight into this issue, please share. I would of course love to have some academic rationale for making the switch if any such information exists. Thanks so much!
intleducator
Registered Member

Return to ELT Management