ESL Activity - Verbs and Tenses
- Illustrate known tenses with tense clue words, for
- Habit/truth = present simple
- Now = present continuous
Experience = present perfect
- Plan = going to
- Yesterday = past
- Select a range of verbs.
- Divide the class into teams.
- Give the same verb and tense clue word to each
- The idea is for each team to make the longest and hopefully
perfectly contructed sentence. Count up the words from each team's sentence and
score on the board. Students of all ages like healthy competition, and the
cleverer ones will realise that by adding lists to their sentences they will
score more points! eg. Yesterday I swam quickly across the deep blue river with
my brother, my sister, my sister's boyfriend, my fat black dog etc.
Just a jobbing teacher, trying to survive in a cruel
world! Richard Barbery (dickiedickieb @ yahoo.com).