A passionate, dedicated and professional teacher and manager. I’m a self-starter who possesses a strong range of interpersonal and communication skills and am able to approach any situation with an enthusiastic and vivacious personality. Over the last 5 years I have proven to be extremely organised, reliable and highly effective as both a team player and leader. I am a competent Mandarin Chinese speaker and user of the simplified mandarin written language.
August 2011 – November 2013
Director of Studies and Foreign Language Teacher.
Managed a team of six foreign language teachers from various countries with responsibility for the quality of teaching and student retention of over 900 students.
- Recruitment and professional development of all foreign teachers and Chinese teaching assistants.
- All course material, including sourcing, creating and adapting new and existing syllabuses to ensure effective and resourceful teaching.
- Planning, writing and delivering new course material as required.
- Evaluating, analysing and updating old courses to reflect the evolving needs of students and the school.
- Organising and adapting teachers’ schedules to ensure fair and effective workloads which reflect individual strengths.
- Marketing and promotion of the school through recruitment of new students at open days, presentations, demo classes and individual student assessments.
- Designing and leading group training sessions. This was a new initiative for the school.
- Contract Management: Negotiated teaching contracts and salaries and new housing contracts.
Experiences, achievements and skills developed:
Increased overall student retention rate across all teachers which led to a student roll increase and the introduction many classes per year.
- First class communicator and negotiator: liaising between Chinese staff, TAs, teachers from various countries and the needs of students/parents who could not communicate in English.
- Decision maker: weighed and assessed student and school needs versus teacher’s needs when deciding whether/how to undertake projects.
- Entrusted with the 1-1 teaching of dignitaries: For example, CEO mentoring.
- Took the initiative for own personal development and that of staff: For example, sourced head office training courses to attend on non-work days.
- Financial and budgeting experience: Promotional events, teacher salaries, bonuses and housing allowances.
- Website development: designed and published a website for the school which was subsequently embraced by the school and widely used.
- Supported the Chinese office staff in organisation of visas, housing, and teacher holiday schedules.
February 2010 – July 2011
Foreign Language Teacher – latterly with Director of Studies.
- Planned and executed effective and interesting lessons for 4-16 year olds,
- Provided 1:1 mentoring and teaching of adults including CEOs and university preparation courses.
- Achieved the highest student retention level ever recorded by the school.
- Implemented improvements to classes, including writing a new kindergarten syllabus.
- Improved two-way communication with State Schools through building a trusting relationship.
- Marketed the school through organising and leading trips. The first time the school had undertaken any such trips and projects which became widely popular.
- 2005- 2008: The University of Manchester, England. BA Honours Geography. Classification: 2:1
- June- December 2006: The University of Melbourne, Australia. University Exchange Programme
- Well versed in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Mandarin Chinese: Intermediate level reading, speaking, writing and listening. Planning to take HSK (the Chinese Language Proficiency Test) level 4 later this year.
Volunteer Teacher: “Hands On” Shanghai and Migrant Worker Children
- Worked with adults with learning disabilities to run workshops on different cultures and arts and crafts.
- Wrote and delivered an English language program for migrant worker children.
In the UK:
Senior Leader at MENCAP
- Organised and ran weekly meetings and camps for children with learning and physical disabilities.
- Organised fund-raising events to raise money, awareness and support.
Other Interests: Volunteering, hiking, swimming, and general sports.
References available on request